Sunday 12 April 2015

Sturminster Newton - Landscaping - part 6


Well, one week of work down (admittedly it was only 4 days), and output has certainly dropped off!  I was expecting this, but after the massive progress of the past several months, it is a bit deflating!  This week I’ve managed UFO night, hold the monthly meeting (at short notice) and get in some fencing and gardening.
I decided to use UFO night to work on the layout, in particular fencing.  I initially started the fencing all way back in 2010, using Peco post and rail, mainly due to its accessibility here down under.  I have a limited quantity of etched fencing, but not enough, and the cost of getting it from the UK is a bit prohibitive at present.  Postage is getting out of control.  I was recently going to be charged £12 to send out a 35mm slide!  But let’s not get me started on that ………..
- fencing now on both sides of the mainline
As reported on Sithlords blog, I hosted the April meeting of the SEQ area group meeting for the NGS and 2mm scale association.  While Mrs Noswal tried to outdo herself with the catering, it was a good turnout.  It was great to receive some rewarding observations about Sturminster.  Several of the attendees had not seen the layout for several years so their comments were both pleasing and poignant.  While most of us build layouts for our self-enjoyment, well I know I do at least, it’s great to receive feedback from fellow modellers that is encouraging.
For what remaining time I had left of the weekend, excluding household chores, playing lego and watching my aussie rules team get smashed, I made an attempt on the greenery growing on/in/around the fencing on the down platform.  I had one good colour photo to work from.
- not long before closing, Sturminster in the summer of 65
- my attempt
From there it was the matter of teasing out small clumps to make up the flowers/hedge/ivy/weeds.  I used a variety of products; Mininatur, Noch and some cheap stuff I got from China, via eBay (pink and yellow flowers).  They have been glued with a variety of superglue and diluted PVA.  I just need to let them set and then get the vacuum cleaning in to clean-up.
- from the other end
Plans for this week are unknown, but I think the signal box needs to be finished.  The stairs have been built, the building undercoated and the signal levers painted.

2 comments:

  1. Considering what it looked like back in February, I reckon you've done heaps!! Roses got the thumbs up from A too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given my extensive horticultural background I think the roses are first class. I can vouch for the quality of the food. The vegetation and buildings look great. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete