Sunday 17 May 2015

Sturminster Newton - Landscaping - part 7


So, it’s only two weeks until Sturminster is exhibited for the first time.  So much to do and so little time.  As usual work has again interrupted my modelling time! With a majority of the big ticket items done, it’s now down to all the fiddly bits. 

- Getting there, slowly

The surface within the yards area was always a concern.  All reference photos indicated that the surface was at rail level.  My initial plan was to use clay, but after my experiments with the roads, I was concerned that the large area to be covered will be susceptible to damage during transit.  Some further thought and discussions led to me using some 2mm thick card, cut to fit and ballasted along the edges.  Once in place I gave it a couple of coats Tamiya surface paint. 
- Yards road surface
Fencing has continued, on the down platform, around the creamery, and the station road.  Further trees have been added, with still more required.  Some signals have been added (non-working – sorry to disappoint) and I’m awaiting a visit from a signalling expert to give me some corrections.
 
Construction of the main goods shed and feed store are still underway, so a temporary fix of a ready-to-plonk Lyddle End goods shed and a Ratio timber merchants will be gap filers for the time being.
 
- Night and day
With the weather permitting, I got around to painting the PVC pipe holding the LED lights and also the front fascia.  While I’m happy with the LEDs, I did jump in to  them pretty quickly.  Further research would of told me that a variety of brightness and colours are available.  I tend think that mine are a bit too white.  Now that I’ve painted the tubing, I can see a blue tinge.  A future upgrade may see me replace them with a more “yellowish” shade.

 -  View from Butts Pond

- Stationside
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment