Wednesday 4 March 2015

Sturminster Newton - Landscaping - part 2


It’s been a fairly productive this week, I think.  The signal box development continued, but came to a standstill when I couldn’t find some steps I had tucked away.  I’ve since ordered some more and they are winging their way from Ol’Blighty as you read this.  No doubt the original will appear about 5mins before the postie arrives with the new ones!
I commenced playing with the cobblestone roller I acquired from Shapeways.  It has been a series of trial and error. Development was as follows:
1.       Roll DAS clay onto MDF base with a thin strip of PVA.  This was rolled fairly thin, 2-3mm thick.  This was then allowed to dry.  The results were not good, cracking.
After having spent some time concreting, for the next two efforts I used some boxing. 
2.       This was rolled clay, which was set between to wooden formers (Star Bucks coffee stirrers, approx. 5-7mm high).  No glue this time, which resulted in the bowing once the clay dried.
3.       Again using formers, but some 2mm craft strips (model ship building).  Again no glue, but less bowing.  Both attempts had some shrinkage.
Some talking with the Thursday night UFO mob suggested that the surface be sealed to prevent the moisture from the clay being absorbed.
4.       Sealed surface (undercoat and gloss finish), 2mm formers and PVA to hold the clay.  This is the best result so far, I even painted it.  Just need to measure the spacing of the formers to prevent the roller slipping and varying the height.
 - Test results, L-R, 1-4
 
- close-up of tests 3 and 4 and the roller itself.
 

While this was going on the landscaping continued.  The plastering continued and then the static grass application began.  I’ve only got a home-made one, but it does the job.  I’ve only zapped myself once, so far!
- looking towards the station .

- looking from Stur.
I also managed to finally secure the station platform to the base board, after only 4 years.  This required some test adjustment, as the new Farish Duchess would not clear it.  I had to go digging around my many boxes of stuff, the horde, to find all my supplies of flock, static grass, and other scenic material.  It’s amazing what you have acquire and forget about.  The only thing I’ve had to buy this week was some bolts to secure the village baseboard.  Was most pleased with the rose hedges I picked up somewhere.

- Roses will need some pruning.

3 comments:

  1. The roses look wonderful. I think you have enough to open a florist shop. I will be in the market for a bunch on my return to Brisbane over Easter. The vegetation all looks great and really lifts the layout. Fantastic work and well done. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. I shall be back between the 3 -12 Apr.

    All the best Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading the blog by the evil Sithlord and saw you have been running a mystery 4F. I have 2 on order but they are not yet released. Was yours part of a train set or pack and is it running well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I couldn't wait for the new 4F, so managed to acquire one from a set break-up. Most happy with it and will need several more

      Delete