Thursday 12 February 2015

Sturminster Newton - Signal box - part 1

As mentioned in my introduction, I'm building a N gauge layout based upon the station at Sturminster Newton in Dorset, on the former Somerset and Dorset Railway.  It is built on two 2.0 x 1.2m baseboards.  Some rule 1 has been applied, the biggest being that the station is now twin track as opposed to the original having a passing loop.  Sturminster itself was a market town, and was well renowned for its livestock sales on a Monday, reputed to be the largest in England.  The railway was closed in 1966.
I started work on this layout way back in 2008, and but there was a period of research conducted prior to this, and it is still ongoing today. 

 - Station end
- Buts Pond end
I had been at a bit of an impasse as to what to do for the signal box, as it was not that common.  The intent was always to build it, but the inspiration was not, cue Christmas Eve 2014.  I was up late, bottle feeding my then 2 month old daughter, Bethany, and surfing the interwebby.  As I was clicking through the pages of Osborn’s models, I came across a laser etch wooden kit for a LSWR signal box, based that at Bideford (of James May fame).  Whilst it was not exactly the Stur box, it was close.  A bit of kit bashing and maybe ……………..

 
- From this ...... 
- To this?

After some delays, the kit arrived, with some extras, laser cut station boards. A quick inspection told me the following:
·         Incorrect windows,
·         Entrance door, vestibule and stairs on wrong side,
·         Too low, and
·         Wrong roof material to name a few.
- All the parts.
But I did say it would be a kit bash.
After realising I had the wrong plasticard with weather board detail, work finally started this evening.  The laser cut stone detail at the base was removed and I am replacing this with an extra 9 planks of weatherboard.  Added to this I have to add a window and several doors to get access to the leaverframe.  These additional doors were only discovered after a further inspection of the few photos I have.
- Front and rear sides done, and work commencing on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment