Thursday 5 February 2015

VR T Class - part 1

Most Thursday nights is modelling night.   A couple of mates drop-in and we continue to make a dint in our pile UFO's (UnFinished Objects).
Not so much as a UFOS, but late last year I purchased 2 x Victorian Railways T class diesels, one for me and one for Sithlord, and he in return is building me a Y class.  Both kits are made by Spirit Design.

They are brass etch kits designed to fit on an Atlas VO1000 mech.  The instructions are quite detailed and very easy to understand, just remember to read twice, solder once!  Work commenced on 10 Nov 14.  At first I attempted to make the hood steps by eye, but considering there are 16 in total, I wasn't getting any consistency.  A handrail jig was required, and fortunately SD has there own.
1st attempt at footsteps
The 1st loco was almost ready after only a few days

After some delays (wife coming home with our baby daughter, end of kinder, Christmas prep, etc), I finally got round to finishing the 2nd body.  I used some lessons learnt from the 1st body for the 2nd.  This included the following:
  • adding the long hood hand rails last (to prevent bending),
  • allowing overhang on the body mounted handrails when soldering
  • keeping better track of components.
I still only consider myself a intermediate level modeller, and my soldering skills modest, but I was happy with the results so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment